Solvang the Danish Town in California
I absolutely LOVED Solvang! It felt like I'd left California and stepped into Europe. For any European lovers this is a great escape only a few hours south of San Francisco. My fiancé and I went there for my birthday weekend. He wanted to surprise me for my birthday so he told me what to pack but wouldn't tell me where we were going. All I knew was that we were heading somewhere south of San Francisco. Once I finally got him to tell me where we were going, I got really excited about it. It was both our first times visiting and he knew I would love it since my grandmother was Danish.
The closer we got to Solvang the more questions I asked till we finally got to the town and pulled into the Royal Copenhagen Inn. The town is super quaint and filled with lots of history. Take a stroll along the streets past the Little Mermaid Fountain to the windmills, Giant red clog & Round Tower. Pop in to some of the tourist stores, my favorite is the Christmas Store. As crazy as it might sound, the danish decorations are my favorite. I overly decorate for christmas and it was the perfect place for me to restock! In addition to all the stores, head around to some of the great the restaurant and bakeries. Most importantly, check out some of the wineries and breweries in the town.
Here is a short list of some places to visit, stay and some good restaurants as well. Additionally, head over to the Solvang's website for more information.
Where to Stay:
- Royal Copenhagen Inn - more basic and reasonably priced and very quaint plus free breakfast included.
- The Landsby -- Super Fancy but looks GORGEOUS
- Holiday Inn Express -- right at the entrance of Solvang and super quaint and very cheap but nice place to stay.
- New Haven Inn
- Kronborg Inn & Spa
- Atterdag Inn
- Dascomb Cellars -- Wine and cheese pairing -- one of my favorites
- Sort This out Cellars -- Super cute wine labels and a nice selection of not only wines but tiki style cocktails.
- Sevtap Winery
- Wandering Dog Winery
- Carivintas Winery
- Crosshatch -- Super cute located inside a historic windmill personally not my favorite wine but worth visiting.
- Lions Peak Vineyards
- Casa Cassara Winery
Where to Eat
- Mad & Win at the Landsby -- Delicious Food
- Solvang Brewing Company -- great atmosphere and variety of food and beer options.
- Copenhagen Sausage
- K' Syrah Catering & Events
- Bit o'Denmark Restaurant
- Visit the Old Mission Santa Inés & Bethania Lutheran church
- Solvang trolley carriage company
- Curious about the Danish & American Culture visit some of the small museums in the town.
- Elverhoj Museum of History & Art
- Hans Christian Andersen
If you enjoyed this please post to Pinterest!